Friday, April 9, 2010

Homemade laundry detergent (dry)

Reid has given us a very strict "weekly family budget" so that we can get out of debt and save for the future that is to come.

He takes care of all the bills... IE. Mortgages, utilities, EST.
I take care of the food, baby stuff, and cars.

Since the budget is on the small side, (about half what a normal family would spend) I have been finding ways of how to get costs down so I can save a little to some day get a hair cut ; )

We have gone to cloth diapers which is that the most amazing thing in the world but it cuts out about 10-20 dollars per week on disposable diapers. : )

I have decided today that I'm going to start making "home made laundry detergent". Since we aren’t throwing away the diapers... they have to be cleaned right? Laundry cleaning = $$

If anyone else in interested in being frugal like me... here is the recipe:

Laundry Detergent (dry):

2 cups finely grated soap (yes body soap, a bar of it, use your cheese grater!)
1 cup Borax
1 cup Arm & Hammer washing soda (not baking soda, can be found in the cleaning or laundry isle)

Blend it up in a blender or food processer, put it in a container that has a lid and put a measuring cut next to it! You’re done!

Depending on the mess of the clothes: 1TBSP - 1/2 Cup

If you have a HE washer, no worries! This mixture does not suds up like the liquid soap so it’s fine for you washers!!!

5 comments:

Nicole said...

You're crazy...I could not live the frugal life. I'm way more worried about easy and quick.
Good luck!

p.s. does that stuff make your clothes smell good?

Tiffany said...

I have been wanting to try this for ever! I actually have the "wet" recipe, and am waiting for my laundry soap to run out. Let me know how it works.
Tiff

Rachel said...

Thanks for this! I have been wanting to try this. A friend of mine said that it cleans better. Did you have to get the Borax on line, or can you find it at a store?

The Johnson Clan said...

Nicole, It makes your laundry smell just as good!

Tiffany, I didnt do the wet because it was too much work!

Rachel, You can get Borax at any store that has laundry detergent. I bought my box at Target. :)

Shari said...

I suggest going to cloth wipes. It's actually easier if you're doing cloth diapers (in my opinion). They have all kinds of wipes solutions online. Just use a spray bottle (I like the squeezable ketchup bottles), use what you need, when you need it. I made my wipes, from left over flannel projects(I hear ppl use old shirts too). Sew a zig zag along the edges to keep them from unraveling...
Just a cheap thought!