Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Week one of the new year!

Blessed...

Reid, Colton and I ran to the store last night to get some much needed cleaning supplies so I can disinfect my house. Colds have been circling around and I'm determined not to get sick again. As we were leaving the store we decided to go and grab a treat of ice cream at McDonald's. As we sat in the drive through Colton fell asleep so we ate our treat in the car so that we didn't wake him.  When we were in the car discussing life and whats going on in the world we came to a wonderful subject of how blessed we are because of our sacrifice to get out of debt. Everyone thought we were crazy in the process of becoming debt free but I can honestly say how thankful I am to have done it.

We had two 2010 cars, a 2010 Toyota Corolla and a 2010 Honda Pilot. I have to say this was the biggest sacrifice I have ever made. We happened to sell both cars on the same day for a large loss that we then had to figure out how to pay in cash as the car loan places wouldn't take any other payment. So we were car less and needed a way to get lots of cash FAST. Not a lot of people know this but we then had to sell all of our furniture except for our beds and Colton's dresser and changing table as it was given to us through family and I'm sure that someone would have been angry if we didn't pass it onto family.  So in the end we are car less and have a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom house with nothing in it but some beds. What a change in our lives! But what a blessing that we were able to get out of debt. The nice furniture that we sold was able to pay off the cars, pay off our credit card and help keep us fed (along with our food storage) as well as pay for plane tickets to Thanksgiving/ Christmas in Kansas. I can honestly say that I now feel like I'm a newlywed/college student. Haha.

We got this crazy idea of getting out of debt quick by this guy named Dave Ramsey. He has seminars and a radio station. He says getting out of debt needs to feel like ripping off a band-aid, quick, stings a bit but so much better afterwords.  We have been following Dave Ramsey's 7 Baby Steps to Financial Peace. http://www.daveramsey.com/new/baby-steps/   We are almost done with baby step #4! Can you believe it?! We are so thrilled to be so far along in the Financial Peace steps.

Since selling the cars Reid has been taking my bike to work and Colton and I would walk to the bus stop and would take the bus to where we needed to go. This was a tough task but it really taught me how to be more prepared with Colton as I couldn't just drive home really quick to get something he needed. In late December we got what I like to call is our "Dave Ramsey Car". Its a 1991 Toyota Camry DX. After taking the bus and walking to church for a couple months its was so nice to have ANY car. The Camry only cost us $800. and it has a sun roof! Haha. Its sad when I get excited about the little things even if its in a very old car, but at least all of the power options including the sunroof work! I'm so grateful that we have a car to get us around.

We hope that by doing all of these financial baby steps that we will be able to provide a wonderful life for our family and as well as for ourselves and retire early! Reid is mostly excited about the early retirement idea, who wouldn't!  : )

4 comments:

Clay & Katie Hardman said...

This is so great! Good for you guys!

Brittany Shore said...

Wow Megan!! I'm so impressed with you guys! Good job!

Karissa said...

That is so awesome! And I am sure incredibly difficult. Kudos to you guys and good luck!

Liz said...

Good job--it's well worth it!